The Grandfather of Mountain Biking in the RoVa

Thursday, March 01, 2001

"Grandfather, tells us another story about the good ole days."

“O.K., kids, put down that idiot "Playsatan", gather 'round and I'll tell you the story about my bro' Mojo Nixon. But first you need to do a little homework...you do know what homework is don't you? (Heeheehee)”

Now, do a computer search on Lycos.com. Type "Mojo Nixon" then scroll down to the Mojo web sites and click onto #1 Nixon, Mojo. Read the interview. Scroll down a little more to other web sites and listen to some of his music. Bathe in Mojoness. Wallow in Mojoness. Get Mojoness on your shoes, under your fingernails, between your teeth. Then come back to me and I will tell you the story of one of my brushes with fame. (Readers, you need to do this too, before you read anymore.)

(hours later)

"Grandfather, we've been to Mojoland and we want to be like Moj! We love his music, especially ‘Elvis is Everywhere’ and ‘I'm the Father of Debbie Gibson's Two-Headed Love-Child’ and ‘Big Foot Truck’. But what does this have to do with bicycles?”

(Clears throat)

“Well, back in the '70's when I was racing pansy ass road bikes, the racing community was much smaller than it is now. Everyone either knew one another by name or at least by face. I had good friends who were Junior racers, used to cart them to races and we trained together a lot. So I often hung with them at races. Also, race fields were often small enough that Junior races were combined with Senior races. So I sometimes raced with these same guys.”

“One of the Juniors was a very quiet, lanky, pimply faced kid from Danville, Va. named Kirby McMillan. He was a pretty good racer but sort of an outsider, not one of the loud clique of Juniors. About 15 years later, I had lost track of all of those people and had been introduced to the bizarre world of Mojo Nixon via, of all places, Public Radio.

I heard ‘Elvis is Everywhere’, bought the cassette and my life has been in a downward spiral since. I have a friend in North Carolina who shared my love of Moj and sent me an article from a local music rag about an appearance Moj had made at a local record shop. The article mentioned that Moj's real name was Kirby McMillan and that he was from Danville!

I looked at the picture in the article and there, without the pimples and a little heavier. It was Kirby, I mean Mojo, the guy I used to race bikes with! And that, my little ones, is my brush with the now infamous, Mojo Nixon.”

http://www.mojonixon.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home